ABC Pre-Ride Bike Checklist
- Air – Make sure your tires are inflated to the correct pressure.
- Brakes – Test your brakes before every ride.
- Chain – Ensure your chain is clean and lubricated.
What to bring on every ride
- Bike – Hopefully this item is self-explanatory
- Helmet – Used to protect your head in a crash
- Cycling Shoes – Used to deliver maximum power to the pedals
- Cycling Kit – Dress for the weather. Gloves are useful to dampen vibrations and protect hands in a crash
- Lightweight Jacket – Bring along in case of cold temperatures or rain.
- Sunglasses – Increases your visibility and protects eyes from wind and debris
- Phone – Can be used to navigate back home if lost, or call for a ride if unable to bike back
- Spare Tubes – Bringing 2 spare tubes is strongly recommended.
- Minipump or CO2 w/ Inflator – If using CO2, bring at least 2 cartridges
- Tire Levers – 2 Recommended, Used to remove tire from the rim in order to replace a flat
- Multi-tool – Try to find one with a chain tool and allen keys. Used for small repairs and adjustments
- Lights – Blinking rear light is always a good idea. A front light is required by Texas law when dark
- Cash/Credit Card – Can be used to buy food/drink or a taxi ride home if needed
- Identification – Used by emergency personnel in case of a serious accident
- House/Car Key – I’ve forgotten this one before
- Filled Water Bottles and Nutrition – Plan for 1 piece of food per hour, plus an extra
- Cycling Computer and Heart Rate Monitor – And don’t forget to log your ride on Strava!
Tips- Get a saddle bag for your tools and flat kit. Hide a small amount of cash inside in case you ever forget your wallet. Make sure to check the weather forecast before heading out (especially rain % and wind direction/speed).
Bike Maintenance Videos – Produced by Global Cycling Network (GCN)
- Change a Flat Tire
- Patch an Inner Tube
- Clean your Bike
- Adjust Brakes
- Index a Rear Derailer and Front Derailer
- Repair a Broken Chain
- Using a Torque Wrench
Cycling “How To” Videos – Produced by Global Cycling Network (GCN)
- How to Pack for a Ride
- Ride with Clipless pedals
- Group Ride Etiquette
- Lock your Bike
- Buy a used Bike
Complete Tri (https://completetri.com) – provides training tips, beginner advice, and gear reviews